For the Following Programs:
The JCC’s KidZone program encompasses the above youth programs into one! We are recruiting dynamic leaders year-round to staff our after school program, Vacation Days, @ Night, and Camp Raanana @ the J, & Snow Days for elementary-age students (K-5). This program has participants from different Ann Arbor schools, and is located in a great facility with both indoor and outdoor activity spaces.
Our after school program would be the majority of the position, but you will have opportunities to work full-day shifts when Ann Arbor Public Schools are of and attend field trips, when there are night programs, and the weeks before and after camp.
Most activities take place at JCC except for the occasional field trip during Vacation Days.
Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor
2935 Birch Hollow Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Must have experience working with children.
Must have experience in theatre, arts & crafts, or sports, and a desire and attitude to work with children in grades K-5.
Must be able to work Monday-Friday, five days a week, full 8-hour days when Ann Arbor Public Schools are not in session, an occasional weekday or weekend night, and have the ability to multi-task, an outgoing personality, and no limitations which would prevent you from performing at the highest level.
Must have proven management, good communication and organizational skills, and the ability to be creative and take direction/instruction.
Preference will be given to those who have earned, or are working toward a degree in elementary education, fine arts, physical education, or related field.
Position is for the academic year, but can lead to summer work as a camp counselor.
*You are not required to be Jewish, but must be open to learning about Judaism (i.e. songs, prayers, etc.)
**Must be able to pass a background check
KidZone Leader Major Responsibilities for All Programs
• Listen to, respect, follow the decisions of the Youth Director
• Report any emergencies or any inappropriate behavior to the Youth Director.
• Listen to, and respect opinions of other staff
• Participate in all activities with enthusiasm
• Act as guardian, friend, and disciplinarian, and put children’s best interests first
• Maintain a safe and healthy environment, abiding by all camp rules/policies.
• Ability to assist in emergencies
• Create a warm, friendly, and safe environment
• Talk to parents on a daily basis, often updating them on the days’ activities and about upcoming programs
KidZone- Afterschool Hours and Major Responsibilities
• Monday-Friday, 3:00-6:30 PM
• Signing children in, keeping accurate daily attendance.
• Meet and escort public school children back from the public school bus drop-off on Birch Hollow.
• Serve appropriate daily snack (provided by the JCC)
• Supervise unstructured time, snack, homework, and structured
• Make sure parent signs them out
• Create a fun atmosphere with games, arts & crafts, etc.
• The JCC does close for certain Jewish and secular holidays in which case, the above programs will not necessarily run (for a list of these days, please see the Youth Department Calendar later in the manual).
KidZone- Vacation Days, Hours, and Major Responsibilities
• Whenever Ann Arbor Public Schools are closed to students throughout the school year.
• 7:30 AM-6:00 PM
• Staff will stagger their shifts, with one staff working 7:30-4:30 and the other 9:00-6:00, each with a 1-hour lunch break.
• Have parents sign children in at drop-off, and out at pick-up
• Attend all field trips and create a project based on the field trip of the day.
• Make sure each child has a Child Information Form on file and with you at all times (bring on field trips, etc)
• Serve morning and afternoon snack
• Supervise all activities
KidZone- @ Night, Hours, and Major Responsibilities
• Occurs on occasional Saturday nights from 6:00-10:00 PM. Staff should arrive by 5:30 to prepare activities.
• Program will include pizza, dessert, games, arts & crafts, and a movie
• Plan and prepare games and/or arts & crafts
KidZone- Camp Raanana @ the J, Hours, and Major Responsibilities
• Same hours as Vacation Days, these occur one week before summer camp in June and one week in August when summer camp ends
• There is a potential to work these days, but it is not required
Physical Aspects of the Job
• Ability to clearly communicate orally and in writing
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
• Ability to enforce safety regulations and execute appropriate emergency procedures.
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury, etc.) and possess the strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
• Activities may include / require: Prolonged standing, walking, Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment, or the need to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Successful completion of all the required duties and expectations will ensure that the experience of the child will be a safe and positive one.
• This position is part-time.
• Commensurate with experience. Absences unpaid.
• The JCC does close for certain Jewish and secular holidays in which case, the above programs will not necessarily run.
How to apply
Please send your resume to Tamara Lewis, Community Programs Office Manager at email@example.com. You may also call at (734) 971-0990 with any questions.
**Applicants may apply year-round.**